Skip to main content

Post Valentine's Day: Real Love

I have always been obsessed with Valentine's Day every since I was a little girl.  There is just something about devoting time to make mini valentines for the people that were in your class and handing them out and watching everyone smile as they open up the Scooby-Doo card and box of heart candies.  It's the tiny and warm feeling you get in your heart that makes it special.  It was one of the few occasions where even though you didn't talk to half the people in your class, you still acknowledged them and loved on them in the smallest but most sentimental way. 
As I got older, however, I began to notice that people used the idea of Valentine's day from being a cute little Hallmark holiday to a derogatory, depressing, and "forever alone" kind of day.  

I know what you may be thinking: Who cares?  It is so overrated.  I don't have a boyfriend or girlfriend so why should it matter? Yad-yada-yada...

Well, I feel as though we should view this little holiday on a more loving approach. (Hah)
As Christians, do we sit here and look at Christmas as a pagan, gift giving, Santa Clause themed holiday?  The world might, but all in all, no. We celebrate the tradition with the tree and gifts but keep Jesus Christ's birth in the center.
Do we look at Easter solely around a bunny hopping around delivering chocolate Easter eggs?  Again, the world might but in essence, no.  We celebrate the tradition and keep the resurrection of Jesus Christ in the center.

I know Valentine's Day doesn't have the same exact type of biblical significance, but after all, it is a holiday revolved around one of the most important credentials associated with the gospel: love. 

In my opinion, we should welcome this holiday devoted to love with open arms and embrace this day of the month!  Let's use it to encourage us to go about random acts of kindness and love on people we may not express to on a regular basis; to our teachers, coworkers, managers, and fellow students!  Use this holiday in hopes to expand the kingdom of God and for the glory of Jesus Christ!

The Bible: More than Just a Book

Let's view this in another perspective: the Holy Bible.
The bible is a book filled with different books to tell the beautiful and most fulfilling love story about the messiah, Jesus Christ.  
Like all books, there is a beginning page and a concluding page mushed between the cover of the book.  (Bear with me, I have a point!)
Now, what makes the bible more than "just a book" is the life it gives to feed our spirits.  It is the living Word of God!  Yes, there may be a page at the end of the book, but that doesn't mean it's the end.


"See I am coming soon!  Blessed is the one who keeps the words of the prophecy of this book" Revelation 22:12

Over and over it is proclaimed that Jesus is coming back soon!  Until then, His love continues to live on forever.  His Spirit dwells within us and He never leaves.  

If you check out Matthew 28:18-20, Jesus is talking to the disciples right before he ascended into heaven.  He told them that although He is leaving the physical earth, to keep on living for Him.  He said to continue following Him, be baptized under God, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, and to spread the gospel of His never ending love.  Teach the people who He is!  Feed them a hope and pour His love into every soul you come across.

"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.  By this people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another." John 13:34-35

This is Real Love   

The world has a very interesting way in depicting love.  For example, lust is often substituted for love which therefore has a tendency to lack meaning.  Love is a powerful action and feeling, but trust me when I tell you that once you discover where genuine love is derived from, your perspective will change forever!

"For everything in the world- the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life- comes not from the Father but from the world." 1 John 2:16

So What is "Real Love?"

Oh Beloved Jesus!  My heart overflows with joy knowing that I belong to you; the Great I am!!  Love is when our Father in Heaven sends His son, humbled and compassionate, taking our place and dying on the cross a criminal's death.  The bruises, the deep cut wounds and blood poured out of your flesh is what saved us.  You didn't have to go through this, but you did because of your unconditional, unfailing love-suffering in silence and freeing us from the bondage of sin.  I found my life when I laid it down at Your feet.  After all, Jesus laid down His life for us.   

   




Friends!  Love goes way beyond chocolates and roses on Valentine's Day.  Love comes from something so much greater than what we attempt to wrap our minds around.  As long as we keep in mind where pure love comes from, Valentine's Day can feel a little less materialistic and so much more genuine and fulfilling!  It is because of Jesus that we are able to walk in love!  His loving spirit dwells within us which enables us to radically pour that love out for all to encounter!
You don't have to be out on a date with someone to feel apart of that inequitable standard the world put upon Valentine's Day.  Be well aware that our Father in Heaven absolutely adores you.  You are beautiful and are a masterpiece made in His image.  Don't think you need the approval on a worldly standard- you are loved in a divine and heavenly love.





     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To the Person Having a Hard Time Moving Forward

Just like what the title states; that was me for the longest time.  I messed up countless times.  Repeatedly.  Over and over and over.  Heck, I still mess up like it is my job.  Being that person who seemed to make mistakes left and right, I found it very difficult to move forward with my life.  I had a difficult time trying to forgive myself.  Yeah, yeah I know the "make mistakes, learn from them, build your character" saying.  But to be frank, that didn't minister to me that well.  I mean, I suppose it did but that was only temporary.  Every time I tried to move forward, something would happen that reminded me of the past and I felt that fresh sense of shame as if it happened that day.  Every time I felt like I took a step forward, I was really taking a huge step back.  For my entire life, I have been going back and forth with no real sense of direction.          I thank God for Jesus.  Because of Jesus, no person on this earth can say anything to me to hinder

More than a performance

I think we can all agree that we live in a society that is primarily based around performance. I'm not going to sit here and bash on our performances with day to day tasks.  In fact, I think our performance with getting a job done is very important; in proper context.  Nevertheless, it can get pretty overwhelming.  Personally, I do NOT perform well under pressure.  In fact, the more I focus on trying to get a job done correctly, the more I will rush, the more anxious I will feel, and the more likely I am to mess up. The solution?  Don't focus so hard on performing the task quickly and carelessly.  Just take it one step at a time and focus on getting it done well. This is very straight forward: to a T.  But how do we apply this logic with our walks with Christ?  What about the way we go about spreading the gospel to our coworker or the way we try to show Jesus to a friend who may not know Him yet? I don't know about you, but as a Christian, I used to struggle immens

Quarantine Thoughts: An Opportunity for Compassion

In as little as a few weeks, the entire world fell ill. ~ The person compulsively posting divided opinions on Facebook. The person fed up with Facebook strife. The teenagers walking down the street in a group greater than ten. The man approaching them, infuriated, holding a knife.  The single mom worried about making ends meet. The single mom's child oblivious to her mother's sense of defeat. The grocery store clerk wishing they didn't have to go into work today. The clothing store retail worker wishing they had work and guaranteed pay.  Those health care providers risking their lives to save your loved ones. Someone you love that was with you one minute, is now gone. I think all of us are confused, bored, maybe nervous for the unknown.  Humanity thrives on the idea of having power and control over our own lives.  For the first time for many of us, this virus introduced the depth of our human-vulnerability.  You hear conspiracy theorists conjure up