Skip to main content

It's okay to be scared

My heart stings more and more each time my husband receives a call to go to another Covid-19 cleaning job.  We live in one of the higher risk areas and that worry of him contracting something and bringing it home is a daily dose of anxiety within itself.  Like for many other people, this has become our new reality and for myself, has me exercising the authenticity of my faith in Jesus more than ever.

All of our situations are different right now; some of you are employed but are still required to go out and risk contracting the virus while some of you are unemployed but are safe at home.  Some of you are blessed to work from home but have loved ones that are at high risk across the country.  Some of you suffer from a mental illness that makes this situation heavier on your mental health while others have physical ailments that puts you at risk even more.

We're living in a really dark time right now and it's scary.  Although we can find a list of positives from this, I can't help but acknowledge that disturbing weight that a majority of it has been very, very negative.  The Bible tells us we don't have to live in a spirit of fear and that is a beautiful truth to cling to-especially right now.  With that being said, I want to share a message for those who are feeling the heat.  Friend, you're in a vulnerable position and it's okay to feel scared of the uncertainty.

You are not a negative person if you feel scared.
You are not a negative person if you feel discouraged.
You are not a negative person if you don't feel inspired to pick up that new hobby or that side hustle.
You are not a negative person if you can't shake that pain about that person on the news that lost their grandmother.

Yes, we serve a perfect God and that perfect Holy Spirit lives in our hearts, but remember that we are still only human and it's okay to feel the weight of this pandemic.  It's normal to cling to the stories that make us feel good and neglect the fact that this disease is climbing and we are anxiously anticipating that peak to accompany with some sort of relief.  But if we're being honest, that moment of peace is fleeting.

In our humanness, vulnerability automatically makes us feel weak.  I'd like to debunk that feeling and replace that with perspective.  If you're waking up every morning (or afternoon- bye-bye sleep cycles), you're strong.  If you accomplished one chore today, you're strong.  If your prayer only consisted of choked up words, shaky limbs and a lot of tears, you are so strong.

Strong faith doesn't always look like you're wearing a brave poker face.  Strong faith is weeping over the world's illness, but declaring God's goodness.  Strong faith doesn't always look like a smile and saying "God's good," but sometimes resembles doubt and allowing His Spirit to guide you back to truth.  The bottom line is strong faith doesn't "look" like anything.  You can't always see God's tangible work.  He does the work of the heart and that refining time often starts in moments of doubt and fear.

Honestly, I've been wrestling back and forth with trusting that the Lord is going to protect us.  It's really hard to grasp that when every other story on the news is the rising statistics of cases confirmed followed by numerous, sad stories covering people losing loved ones.  Thankfully, my stubbornness is handy at times like this.  Even through doubt, I stubbornly cling to God and His goodness.

God is mysterious but I believe we know all we need to know about Him through the Bible.  When I opened my bible today, after having an emotional breakdown while saying bye to my husband, I opened up to a subtext titled "God Hears."  The timing was remarkable and I was presented with two verses that resonated with my current situation.

"Hear my cry for mercy as I call to you for help, as I lift up my hands toward your Most Holy Place." Psalm 28:2

...

"Praise be to the Lord for he has heard my cry for mercy.  The Lord is my strength and my shield, my heart trusts in him and he helps me.  My heart leaps for joy and with my song I praise him.  The Lord is the strength of his people, a fortress of salvation for his anointed one.  Save your people and bless their inheritance; be their shepherd and carry them forever." Psalm 28:6-9 


My biggest takeaway from reading scripture today is that God is our protector, our safe place, and our comforter.  We may not have a clear scope on how things are going to work out, but He does give us clear instruction to trust Him in the process.  

The Bible urges us to pray with confidence that the Lord will listen and respond.  He urges us to be filled with gratitude and confidently pray to Him before He answers- and He will blow your mind.  Take that leap of faith and place it in the hands of Jesus.  It's a daily battle but it's one worth fighting for.  God always wins.

"Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." Mark  11:24  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To the Person Having a Hard Time Moving Forward

Just like what the title states; that was me for the longest time.  I messed up countless times.  Repeatedly.  Over and over and over.  Heck, I still mess up like it is my job.  Being that person who seemed to make mistakes left and right, I found it very difficult to move forward with my life.  I had a difficult time trying to forgive myself.  Yeah, yeah I know the "make mistakes, learn from them, build your character" saying.  But to be frank, that didn't minister to me that well.  I mean, I suppose it did but that was only temporary.  Every time I tried to move forward, something would happen that reminded me of the past and I felt that fresh sense of shame as if it happened that day.  Every time I felt like I took a step forward, I was really taking a huge step back.  For my entire life, I have been going back and forth with no real sense of direction.          I thank God for Jesus.  Because of Jesus, no person on this earth can say anything to me to hinder

More than a performance

I think we can all agree that we live in a society that is primarily based around performance. I'm not going to sit here and bash on our performances with day to day tasks.  In fact, I think our performance with getting a job done is very important; in proper context.  Nevertheless, it can get pretty overwhelming.  Personally, I do NOT perform well under pressure.  In fact, the more I focus on trying to get a job done correctly, the more I will rush, the more anxious I will feel, and the more likely I am to mess up. The solution?  Don't focus so hard on performing the task quickly and carelessly.  Just take it one step at a time and focus on getting it done well. This is very straight forward: to a T.  But how do we apply this logic with our walks with Christ?  What about the way we go about spreading the gospel to our coworker or the way we try to show Jesus to a friend who may not know Him yet? I don't know about you, but as a Christian, I used to struggle immens

Quarantine Thoughts: An Opportunity for Compassion

In as little as a few weeks, the entire world fell ill. ~ The person compulsively posting divided opinions on Facebook. The person fed up with Facebook strife. The teenagers walking down the street in a group greater than ten. The man approaching them, infuriated, holding a knife.  The single mom worried about making ends meet. The single mom's child oblivious to her mother's sense of defeat. The grocery store clerk wishing they didn't have to go into work today. The clothing store retail worker wishing they had work and guaranteed pay.  Those health care providers risking their lives to save your loved ones. Someone you love that was with you one minute, is now gone. I think all of us are confused, bored, maybe nervous for the unknown.  Humanity thrives on the idea of having power and control over our own lives.  For the first time for many of us, this virus introduced the depth of our human-vulnerability.  You hear conspiracy theorists conjure up