Skip to main content

Quarantine Thoughts: An Opportunity for Compassion

In as little as a few weeks, the entire world fell ill.
~
The person compulsively posting divided opinions on Facebook.
The person fed up with Facebook strife.
The teenagers walking down the street in a group greater than ten.
The man approaching them, infuriated, holding a knife. 
The single mom worried about making ends meet.
The single mom's child oblivious to her mother's sense of defeat.
The grocery store clerk wishing they didn't have to go into work today.
The clothing store retail worker wishing they had work and guaranteed pay. 
Those health care providers risking their lives to save your loved ones.
Someone you love that was with you one minute, is now gone.


I think all of us are confused, bored, maybe nervous for the unknown.  Humanity thrives on the idea of having power and control over our own lives.  For the first time for many of us, this virus introduced the depth of our human-vulnerability.  You hear conspiracy theorists conjure up radical conclusions and you witness people appear carefree and somewhat in denial; we're all simply trying to make sense of what is going on with the sudden disruption of our lives.  We went from our free will way of life to suddenly being advocated to adopt our new and indefinite normal.

However this is affecting you is completely out of your control.  This idea made me ponder how this new reality for most of us is someone else's normal.  I'm talking about the people who struggle financially and are scared that their next paycheck may not be enough to make ends meet.  Or the person who lives with crippling anxiety making them unable to leave their homes on a regular basis.  Or the person who lives with a life threatening disease that can potentially jeopardize their current health with something as simple as picking up their medication in public.  Can you imagine how those people must feel everyday while we're out living our normal lives?  Survival mode is their normal and perhaps this can be an opportunity gain somewhat of an understanding- thus, enabling us to find gratitude and joy in the midst of the virus.  We are uncomfortable because our normal was robbed, but for a lot of people this is the same story on a different day.

~ An Uncomfortably New Perspective ~

 In a way, the beginning of spring is symbolic; it's filled with new beginnings such as wedding season peering around the corner, women finding out they're expecting, high school and college students anticipating their graduations, families planning their summer vacations: all of these play a pivotal role in our lives as human beings.  The timing couldn't have been more inconvenient, right? 

In a way, we're all faced with an uncomfortable situation.  We want to be enthusiastic with the new and exciting things going on in our lives but we feel uncomfortable due to what's currently going on in the world.  Or maybe we embraced our excitement but now we're disappointed because our lives came to an unprecedented pause.  While I strongly encourage everyone to continue to embrace their joy, I equally encourage everyone to take a step back and reflect on what is going on around you.  Don't misunderstand my heart, I understand these are big things and I mourned over my college graduation ceremony.  But at the same time, I'm grateful that my life, as for many of us, will continue to go on.
You will have your baby.  You will receive your diploma.  You will finish your program.  You will marry your sweetheart.  You get the point.     

The way I am looking at this pandemic is to find the joy outside your own scope.  We all knew there was pain and heartache in the world, and now it appears as obvious as ever.  However, we lived a life where we would serve and acknowledge it- but after my wedding.  We will reach out- but after I get back from vacation.  We will serve the elderly and those in need- but after when I get two days off.  We will donate our money to this cause- but not this week because I have to buy my ticket, first.

Priorities represent responsibility and organization and without helping yourself, it is merely impossible to help those around you.  I find it interesting that we are placed in a position that the responsible thing to do is to lend a helping hand, first, then tend to our lives after.  

~ Restore Your Faith ~

Our faith is one of the few things we have full control over.  During this conundrum, this is the prime time to draw closer towards the guaranteed love of God.  Remain informed but don't be easily swayed in the chaos associated- God tells us to cast our worries to Him because He cares for us.  Nurture your faith by spending more time in God's Word rather than consuming the media and frantic opinions on social media posts.  Utilize wisdom as we go about our new and indefinite normal.  Make choices that aren't selfish.  Finally, practice sincere compassion for the world- we're living in a scary and unpredictable time right now and everybody has their own way to cope with it.

"Don't be pulled in different directions or worried about a thing.  Be saturated in prayer throughout each day, offering your faith-filled requests before God with overflowing gratitude.  Tell him every detail of your life, then God's wonderful peace that transcends human understanding will make the answers known to you through Jesus Christ." Philippians 4:6-7

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To the Person Having a Hard Time Moving Forward

Just like what the title states; that was me for the longest time.  I messed up countless times.  Repeatedly.  Over and over and over.  Heck, I still mess up like it is my job.  Being that person who seemed to make mistakes left and right, I found it very difficult to move forward with my life.  I had a difficult time trying to forgive myself.  Yeah, yeah I know the "make mistakes, learn from them, build your character" saying.  But to be frank, that didn't minister to me that well.  I mean, I suppose it did but that was only temporary.  Every time I tried to move forward, something would happen that reminded me of the past and I felt that fresh sense of shame as if it happened that day.  Every time I felt like I took a step forward, I was really taking a huge step back.  For my entire life, I have been going back and forth with no real sense of direction.          I thank God for Jesus.  Because of Jesus, no person on this earth can say anything to me to hinder

More than a performance

I think we can all agree that we live in a society that is primarily based around performance. I'm not going to sit here and bash on our performances with day to day tasks.  In fact, I think our performance with getting a job done is very important; in proper context.  Nevertheless, it can get pretty overwhelming.  Personally, I do NOT perform well under pressure.  In fact, the more I focus on trying to get a job done correctly, the more I will rush, the more anxious I will feel, and the more likely I am to mess up. The solution?  Don't focus so hard on performing the task quickly and carelessly.  Just take it one step at a time and focus on getting it done well. This is very straight forward: to a T.  But how do we apply this logic with our walks with Christ?  What about the way we go about spreading the gospel to our coworker or the way we try to show Jesus to a friend who may not know Him yet? I don't know about you, but as a Christian, I used to struggle immens