Skip to main content

You were forgiven, are forgiven, and will forever be forgiven

Yesterday morning I was going about my usual routine before heading off to work.  Routines can be super helpful but can easily become a bit too robotic as well.  Instead of utilizing our quiet time before the day begins, the clock decides to tell you that it's time to go, go, go!  I totally understand the feeling that your clock is some kind of drill sergeant, however, it's important to recognize just how necessary our quiet time with the Lord is.  It is in that divine appointment where God will really pour into your heart.

"Let all that I am wait quietly before God, for my hope is in him." Psalm 62:5 [NLT]

Up in the northeast, we were experiencing a bit of snowfall.  Instead of going about my usual routine, I decided to take a peak outside my window.  And to my expectation, I witnessed the powdery white snow gracefully falling to the ground; resting peacefully in collections upon the branches on barren trees and the piles of dirt beside the road.

It was in that moment I recognized just how peaceful and quiet it was outside.  Everything seemed to have been muted with different hues of gray.  The messy piles of rubble as well as the ragged tree branches were covered in such a gentle and white veil.

It seemed so simple how a single layer of snow can make something that was so unpleasant to look at into something so glorious and pure.

Snow is beautiful, but I understand how it can easily be looked at like a burden in many different variations.

For example, you can look back and ponder about how unpleasant that pile of dirt was on the road in your front yard.  Or maybe how patchy and uneven your grass was.

Or you can even fixate your mind on how much your back is going to hurt after shoveling that dense snow.

Or... you can decide to be present in that very moment as you glance outside your window.  Take away any regrets or future concerns and soak in that moment as you witness God's reflection of what it really means to be still before Him.

The bible talks about how our call to action is now. 
The word of God doesn't tell us to look in our past and envision what we could have done differently.  The word of God doesn't tell us to worry about where we will be in the next year, the next 5 years... heck, it doesn't even tell us to worry about what tomorrow holds!


Don't worry about what you wish you did or what your future is going to look like.  Trust me, I get it.  These are the same reoccurring thoughts that tempt me everyday.  It's easy to wish for something, but  it's better to change that unstable state wishing for something to a steadfast faith and hope in the Lord.
Only He can redeem our past.  Only He can make our paths straight as we take steps walking forward into our future.



"I don't mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection.  But I press on to possess that perfection for which Christ Jesus first possessed me.  No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the pat and looking forward to what lies ahead, I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Jesus, is calling us." Philippians 3:12-14 [NLT]

I know it's tempting to worry and regret, but that is all apart of the daily surrender to Jesus.  Laying all of that anxiety and worry into His hands and being still in His presence.  It is through that quiet time we give to the Lord where our thoughts and hearts are being renewed and transformed.  Wherever you are at in life, take a moment and invite His presence in.  Whether it's in your bedroom, at the office, in a coffee shop- it doesn't matter, He will meet you anywhere.  His gentle spirit can change even the most hectic of atmospheres.

Every time you see the ragged edges of the trees and the piles of dirt on the side of the road covered in snow and suddenly made beautiful; may it be a reminder with how Jesus covers our seemingly ugly past in the fullness of His never ending grace and love.  There is nothing you could have done to make Jesus love you less.  No matter what the world may lead you to believe, just know that You are so valued and so loved by savior of the world. 




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To the Person Having a Hard Time Moving Forward

Just like what the title states; that was me for the longest time.  I messed up countless times.  Repeatedly.  Over and over and over.  Heck, I still mess up like it is my job.  Being that person who seemed to make mistakes left and right, I found it very difficult to move forward with my life.  I had a difficult time trying to forgive myself.  Yeah, yeah I know the "make mistakes, learn from them, build your character" saying.  But to be frank, that didn't minister to me that well.  I mean, I suppose it did but that was only temporary.  Every time I tried to move forward, something would happen that reminded me of the past and I felt that fresh sense of shame as if it happened that day.  Every time I felt like I took a step forward, I was really taking a huge step back.  For my entire life, I have been going back and forth with no real sense of direction.          I thank God for Jesus.  Because of Jesus, no person on this earth can say anything to me to hinder

More than a performance

I think we can all agree that we live in a society that is primarily based around performance. I'm not going to sit here and bash on our performances with day to day tasks.  In fact, I think our performance with getting a job done is very important; in proper context.  Nevertheless, it can get pretty overwhelming.  Personally, I do NOT perform well under pressure.  In fact, the more I focus on trying to get a job done correctly, the more I will rush, the more anxious I will feel, and the more likely I am to mess up. The solution?  Don't focus so hard on performing the task quickly and carelessly.  Just take it one step at a time and focus on getting it done well. This is very straight forward: to a T.  But how do we apply this logic with our walks with Christ?  What about the way we go about spreading the gospel to our coworker or the way we try to show Jesus to a friend who may not know Him yet? I don't know about you, but as a Christian, I used to struggle immens

Quarantine Thoughts: An Opportunity for Compassion

In as little as a few weeks, the entire world fell ill. ~ The person compulsively posting divided opinions on Facebook. The person fed up with Facebook strife. The teenagers walking down the street in a group greater than ten. The man approaching them, infuriated, holding a knife.  The single mom worried about making ends meet. The single mom's child oblivious to her mother's sense of defeat. The grocery store clerk wishing they didn't have to go into work today. The clothing store retail worker wishing they had work and guaranteed pay.  Those health care providers risking their lives to save your loved ones. Someone you love that was with you one minute, is now gone. I think all of us are confused, bored, maybe nervous for the unknown.  Humanity thrives on the idea of having power and control over our own lives.  For the first time for many of us, this virus introduced the depth of our human-vulnerability.  You hear conspiracy theorists conjure up