Skip to main content

Embrace the mess

"Throw off your old sinful nature and your former way of life, which is corrupted by deception.  Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes.  Put on your new nature, created to be like God - truly righteous and holy."  Ephesians 4:22-24



The society we live in today puts so much pressure on us to live up to an unrealistic, "perfect" standard.  Society tells us that we need to collect ourselves through our failures and faults and put on the image that everything is fine when we may in fact be struggling.  Fake it until you make it, right?  Wrong.

That's the thing; Paul says to the Ephesians to be like God in the renewing of our hearts.  Jesus never asked us for perfection.  He doesn't care if we mess up and fall down.  He understands that our humanness and sinful nature will deceive us.  But Jesus says to simply look to Him.  Let Him transform our failures into victories.  Let Him transform your mess into a beautiful work of art.  Let Him shine that heavenly bright light through your dark and broken pieces!


So a few days ago, I had "one of those days."   My joy was diminished for a moment because my imperfect human self spilt coffee on the way to class.  I felt shame when I forgot to bring my journal that I worked so hard on for class the day it was due.  I was overwhelmed with the sense of being rushed to go from class, to work, to bible study.  I was impatient when I saw the clock ticking forward and but had no time to find a close parking spot.  Notice how this collection of inconveniences are far from a big deal.  That's usually how it starts off for some of us.  The mildest inconvenience occurs and our whole day feels like it has been thrown out the window with no way to get it back. 


I was just about to leave my job to go to bible study when all of a sudden I managed to spill a freshly brewed cup of coffee on my white as snow denim pants.  It burned, it smelled like bitter coffee for the rest of the night, and I'm pretty sure it is going to take two washes to get the stain off.  But interestingly enough, I couldn't stop laughing and smiling when it happened.  

God's word registered in my heart and brought so much life to my unfortunate clumsiness that was to follow.  Instead of feeling more anguish over my destroyed white pants, I felt joy.  If I listened to how society would tell me to respond to that, I would have been filled with frustration.  But instead, the kindness of God and His word not only released me from that particular burden, but filled me with a lighter heart and an abundance of joy.

Want to know where God met me?  He met me in the middle of my sour attitude.  He didn't wait until I got my act together.  No, He met me smack dab in the middle of my imperfection.

As I stood in the mirror looking at my reflection, I smiled.  I read my t-shirt that I randomly picked out that day and I smiled bigger.  "His love never fails."  All the bitterness that accompanied me earlier was washed away by this coffee stain sitting on my right leg

I am an imperfect person.  We are all imperfect people.  But Jesus sees us beyond our coffee stains and brokenness.  Instead, He views us as pure as the white pants that surrounds and overpowers the stain.        

When society tells us that we need to go hide until we clean up, try walking in a joyful confidence in sporting that stain!  Be a tangible representation with finding joy in the middle of the moments when we fall short and make a mess.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To the Person Having a Hard Time Moving Forward

Just like what the title states; that was me for the longest time.  I messed up countless times.  Repeatedly.  Over and over and over.  Heck, I still mess up like it is my job.  Being that person who seemed to make mistakes left and right, I found it very difficult to move forward with my life.  I had a difficult time trying to forgive myself.  Yeah, yeah I know the "make mistakes, learn from them, build your character" saying.  But to be frank, that didn't minister to me that well.  I mean, I suppose it did but that was only temporary.  Every time I tried to move forward, something would happen that reminded me of the past and I felt that fresh sense of shame as if it happened that day.  Every time I felt like I took a step forward, I was really taking a huge step back.  For my entire life, I have been going back and forth with no real sense of direction.          I thank God for Jesus.  Because of Jesus, no person on this earth can say anything to me to hinder

More than a performance

I think we can all agree that we live in a society that is primarily based around performance. I'm not going to sit here and bash on our performances with day to day tasks.  In fact, I think our performance with getting a job done is very important; in proper context.  Nevertheless, it can get pretty overwhelming.  Personally, I do NOT perform well under pressure.  In fact, the more I focus on trying to get a job done correctly, the more I will rush, the more anxious I will feel, and the more likely I am to mess up. The solution?  Don't focus so hard on performing the task quickly and carelessly.  Just take it one step at a time and focus on getting it done well. This is very straight forward: to a T.  But how do we apply this logic with our walks with Christ?  What about the way we go about spreading the gospel to our coworker or the way we try to show Jesus to a friend who may not know Him yet? I don't know about you, but as a Christian, I used to struggle immens

Quarantine Thoughts: An Opportunity for Compassion

In as little as a few weeks, the entire world fell ill. ~ The person compulsively posting divided opinions on Facebook. The person fed up with Facebook strife. The teenagers walking down the street in a group greater than ten. The man approaching them, infuriated, holding a knife.  The single mom worried about making ends meet. The single mom's child oblivious to her mother's sense of defeat. The grocery store clerk wishing they didn't have to go into work today. The clothing store retail worker wishing they had work and guaranteed pay.  Those health care providers risking their lives to save your loved ones. Someone you love that was with you one minute, is now gone. I think all of us are confused, bored, maybe nervous for the unknown.  Humanity thrives on the idea of having power and control over our own lives.  For the first time for many of us, this virus introduced the depth of our human-vulnerability.  You hear conspiracy theorists conjure up