Skip to main content

It Took Me 20 Years to Realize This

When I was a little kid, I remember day dreaming about my future self.  A lot.  I would sit there and ponder me turning sixteen and getting my driver's license, graduating from university at twenty one while getting married shortly after.  Heck, I thought once you hit thirteen, the glorious entry to the teenage years, you would turn instantly mature.  Bottom line, I think it's safe to say that I was way in over my head.

Well little Bri, here is a reality check.  You were in no way, shape, or form mature at thirteen, you waited almost 4 years after turning sixteen to finally get your driver's license, you still have two and a half more years minimum to go in college, and although you would love to be married soon- there is no way to tell that it will be that soon.  In other words, when I was a kid, I envisioned myself to pretty much have my life together at twenty years old. 

I cracked my phone screen for the third time this year a couple days ago, my face broke out in a community of acne, I spill coffee on myself every single day, my mind wasn't in the right place this month due to stress of exams, deadlines, registration, etc.  This month was an eye opener for me to say the least.  I was practicing being imperfect and let me tell ya, my imperfectness was definitely shining through.  But hey, that's life, one big ole lesson to learn!

Twenty Things I Learned in Twenty Years

1.) How to pass a driver's license test.  (this was clearly a huge victory for me, praise God)

2.) That God loves each and every one of us no matter what.  Unconditionally.  No depth of sin can prevent God from loving you.

3.) Don't get discouraged if you fall, God's there to pick you right back up!

4.)  Compassion for one another creates a domino effect- spread the love!!  Embrace your humaneness!!

5.) To trust God in what may appear to be a questionable situation. 

6.) How to successfully bake chocolate chip oatmeal cookies!  Yes, that took twenty years.

7.) To not sweat the small stuff- God's got this in His hands... so chill, fam! 

8.) Give thanks everyday- a heart filled with gratitude is a healthy heart!

9.) That following God's will for my life isn't as complex as I initially thought it was... 

10.) Diversity among people is a beautiful thing.  

11.) And embracing yourself in that diversity is a worthy eye opening experience, as well!

12.) Reach out to the person who you wouldn't think to reach out to.

13.) Don't avoid the things that have to get done, embrace the challenge and trust that God will get you through it- He is sovereign!

14.) Grace is a gift we do not deserve, but are given regardless every single day.

15.) That God showed me that I can use my love for writing to connect with people as a way to bring glory to Him

16.) ...as well as majoring in it in college for a future career!  Talk about blessings!  

17.) You're running a completely different race compared to the people around you- so stop comparing yourself!!  You are exactly where you need to be!

18.) Joy is a choice you choose everyday no matter the circumstance.

19.) The reason why it's a choice is because Jesus lived a perfect and righteous life, dying in my place while enduring full punishment- only to conquer it all three days later.  That's a love that can never be topped my friends.  Power in His name!

20.) No matter how old you get, you are constantly growing, learning, and experiencing new things.  Keep on keeping on!

Honestly, the list can go on.  We never stop learning, that is a constant thing.

The Take Away

No matter what you're going through, what you've been through, or how you expected your life to turn out- it is going to be okay.  Prior to coming to know Jesus, I was the epitome of a worrywart.  I was insecure about my past, nervous about how I was doing in the present, and would overthink where I saw myself in five, ten, fifteen years.  
Don't get me wrong, I still worry, I still fall- but once you fixate your perspective on the big picture which is God, all of that diminishes!  There is power in the name of Jesus!  I feel so silly whenever I let my worries overwhelm me, God is so much higher than anything I can wrap my head around.  If you lean to Him and His understanding, you experience His peace, mercy, love, and grace. 

So yeah little Bri, I'm not where you thought I'd be at twenty years old, but that's okay!  You are on an awesome path taking the narrow road, and life has never felt so full.  

"I'm still learning" -Michelangelo, age 87




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To the Person Having a Hard Time Moving Forward

Just like what the title states; that was me for the longest time.  I messed up countless times.  Repeatedly.  Over and over and over.  Heck, I still mess up like it is my job.  Being that person who seemed to make mistakes left and right, I found it very difficult to move forward with my life.  I had a difficult time trying to forgive myself.  Yeah, yeah I know the "make mistakes, learn from them, build your character" saying.  But to be frank, that didn't minister to me that well.  I mean, I suppose it did but that was only temporary.  Every time I tried to move forward, something would happen that reminded me of the past and I felt that fresh sense of shame as if it happened that day.  Every time I felt like I took a step forward, I was really taking a huge step back.  For my entire life, I have been going back and forth with no real sense of direction.          I thank God for Jesus.  Because of Jesus, no person on this earth can say anything to me to hinder

More than a performance

I think we can all agree that we live in a society that is primarily based around performance. I'm not going to sit here and bash on our performances with day to day tasks.  In fact, I think our performance with getting a job done is very important; in proper context.  Nevertheless, it can get pretty overwhelming.  Personally, I do NOT perform well under pressure.  In fact, the more I focus on trying to get a job done correctly, the more I will rush, the more anxious I will feel, and the more likely I am to mess up. The solution?  Don't focus so hard on performing the task quickly and carelessly.  Just take it one step at a time and focus on getting it done well. This is very straight forward: to a T.  But how do we apply this logic with our walks with Christ?  What about the way we go about spreading the gospel to our coworker or the way we try to show Jesus to a friend who may not know Him yet? I don't know about you, but as a Christian, I used to struggle immens

Quarantine Thoughts: An Opportunity for Compassion

In as little as a few weeks, the entire world fell ill. ~ The person compulsively posting divided opinions on Facebook. The person fed up with Facebook strife. The teenagers walking down the street in a group greater than ten. The man approaching them, infuriated, holding a knife.  The single mom worried about making ends meet. The single mom's child oblivious to her mother's sense of defeat. The grocery store clerk wishing they didn't have to go into work today. The clothing store retail worker wishing they had work and guaranteed pay.  Those health care providers risking their lives to save your loved ones. Someone you love that was with you one minute, is now gone. I think all of us are confused, bored, maybe nervous for the unknown.  Humanity thrives on the idea of having power and control over our own lives.  For the first time for many of us, this virus introduced the depth of our human-vulnerability.  You hear conspiracy theorists conjure up